It’s only natural that we here at Mighty Skins follow with fervor all things gadget, game, and mobile. This past week, all things gaming were going down at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, where one of the biggest gaming expos in the world took place from Wednesday through Sunday.
Here are the highlights:
Best of Gamescom: Evolve
Best Action Game: Evolve
Best Console Game Microsoft Xbox: Evolve
Best PC Game: Evolve
Best Online Multiplayer Game: Evolve
Seeing a pattern here? It may seem like it, but Evolve didn’t win everything.
Best Console Game Sony PlayStation: The Evil Within
Best Console Game Nintendo Wii: Splatoon
Best Role Playing Game: Risen 3
Best Simulation Game: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
Best Sports Game: Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) 2015
Best Family Game: LittleBigPlanet 3
Best Mobile Game: Super Smash Bros.
Best Social / Casual / Online Game: LittleBigPlanet 3
Best Hardware: Oculus Rift DK2
Sony confirmed an October 14 US release date for the Playstation TV it revealed a couple months ago at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles. The micro-console will allow users to stream PlayStation 4 games from one console in their home to a second television via Remote Play. Like others of its kind, it will also provide access to selected entertainment content through the PlayStation Network, including the PlayStation Now streaming service, Sony’s new rental service for Playstation games.
This fall, the PS4 system update 2.0 will bring make it possible to share games online with friends who may not own the game. It will also support YouTube and some other features.
For more of Sony’s Gamescom announcements, check out this post from CNET on the scene: Here’s everything Sony just announced at Gamescom. IGN also did a nice job compiling Sony’s biggest Playstation reveals.
The highly anticipated white Xbox One was finally revealed. It will be available as part of the Sunset Overdrive bundle system, which also includes a wireless controller and a digital copy of Insomniac Games’ Sunset Overdrive with some extra bells and whistles. How sweet will that look with this chevron skin?
Two other bundles are also coming: The Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare bundle, launching on November 3, includes a custom console and controller, a 1TB hard drive and a Limited Edition exoskeleton,along with a digital copy of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Day Zero Edition.
Also, a FIFA 15 bundle with console, wireless controller, 14-day Xbox Live Trial, HDMI Cable, chat headset, and a digital token for FIFA 15 with Ultimate Team Legends Gold Pack will launch next month. This one doesn’t look as cool out of the box, but we can fix that for you.
Gamespot does a pretty good job covering some of Microsoft’s other announcements in this article: All The Biggest Microsoft Xbox News From Gamescom 2014
Who else was there and what did they bring?
Well, everyone. But here’s a list of the major (and medium-weight) players and some of the games they’re debuting. Also, CVG has a comprehensive catalog of the videos released in connection with the conference, including trailers, demos, and press conference video.
- 2K Games (Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Evolve, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth, NBA 2K15, WWE 2K15)
- Activision Blizzard (Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Destiny, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (Ultimate Evil Edition), Skylanders: Trap Team, World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor)
- Atari (RollerCoaster Tycoon World)
- Bandai Namco (Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution, Rise of Incarnates)
- Bohemia Interactive (DayZ Standalone)
- Bethesda Softworks (The Evil Within)
- CD Projekt RED (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)
- Capybara Games (Super Time Force Ultra)
- Crytek (Arena of Fate, Ryse: Son of Rome)
- Daedalic Entertainment (Blackguards 2)
- Deep Silver (3 new Dead Island games, Emergency 5, Metro Redux, Risen 3: Titan Lords, Sacred 3)
- Devolver Digital (Not a Hero, Titan Souls, The Talos Principle)
- Electronic Arts (Battlefield: Hardline, Dawngate, Dragon Age: Inquisition, FIFA 15, NHL 15, Shadow Realms, Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds, The Sims 4, Titanfall: IMC)
- Focus Home Interactive (Act of Aggression)
- Frontier Developments (Elite: Dangerous)
- Grey Box (Grey Goo)
- Konami (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Pro Evolution Soccer, Silent Hills)
- Kalypso Media (Grand Ages: Medieval)
- Microïds (Syberia 3)
- Microsoft (Below, Forza Horizon 2, Forza Motorsport 5, Fable Legends, Halo 5: Guardians, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Killer Instinct, Nero, Ori and the Blind Forest, Quantum Break, Screamride, Smite, Space Engineers, Sunset Overdrive, Superhot, The Escapist)
- Nintendo (WiiU: Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros., Yoshi’s Woolly World; 3DS: Disney Magical World, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Super Smash Bros.)
- Nordic Games (Aquanox – Deep Descent, MX vs. ATV: Supercross, SpellForce 3, The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, The Guild 3, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter)
- Paradox Interactive (Cities: Skylines, Hearts of Iron IV, Hollowpoint, Magicka 2, Pillars of Eternity, Runemaster)
- Phoenix Online Studios (Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Ann. Ed)
- Riot Games (League of Legends)
- Sega (Alien: Isolation, Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (WiiU), Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal)
- Sierra Entertainment (Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions, King’s Quest)
- Slightly Mad Studios (Project CARS, World of Speed)
- Sony Computer Entertainment (Alienation, Big Fest, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Final Horizon, Flame Over, Freedom Wars, Futuridium, Hellblade, Helldivers, Hohokum, Hustle Kings, Invizimals: Das Bündnis , Journey, LittleBigPlanet 3, Murasaki Baby, Pix the Cat, Rime, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Super Exploding Zoo, Tearaway Unfolded, The Order: 1886, The Tomorrow Children, The Unfinished Swan, Until Dawn, Volume, Wild)
- Square Enix (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Life is Strange, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Nosgoth, Rise of the Tomb Raider (X-Box Exclusive), Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call)
- Starbreeze Studios (The Walking Dead)
- Techland (Hellraid)
- Ubisoft (Assassin’s Creed Rogue, Assassin’s Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, Just Dance 2015, Just Dance Now, Might & Magic Heroes VII, Shape Up, The Crew, Toy Soldiers: War Chest, The Settlers: Kingdom of Anteria, Tom Clancy’s The Division)
- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Batman: Arkham Knight, Dying Light, Gauntlet, Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, Lego Ninjago Nindroids, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Mortal Kombat X)
- Wargaming (World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition, World of Warplanes, World of Warships)